New reports continue to surface regarding the Las Vegas shooter. The most recent one involves an investigation into the possibility that the shooter planned additional attacks, including a car bombing.
On Thursday, a U.S. official confirmed the veracity of the information but indicated that it was preliminary in nature and there was no solid evidence yet. The official spoke on condition of anonymity.
Earlier in the day, Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo said that it appeared the shooter had an escape plan and was counting on escaping after the massacre.
Lombardo also said that 1,600 rounds of ammunition was found in the shooter’s car, as well as fertilizer that could be used to make explosives and 50 pounds of Tannerite, which is an explosive substance.
Many theories into the gunman’s motive and whether he acted alone continue to appear on the Internet.
One unsubstantiated theory points to a “fast and furious” type operation in which the gunman was killed to prevent the information from being used against a government agency. However, there are many more theories, as well.
Additionally, a theory that almost immediately was tossed around regarding ISIS’s involvement in the incident continues to hold steadfast, while new information is learned.
Rukmini Callimachi, “a contributor for NBC, correspondent for The New York Times covering ISIS and a Correspondent & Bureau Chief for The AP who previously spent seven years in West Africa,” tweeted information on Thursday to substantiate ISIS’s proof of involvement.
“1. After ISIS claimed Vegas, I was waiting for them to release Naba, their weekly newsletter, to see if anything new emerged. Naba is out:”
The picture in the tweet shows an image of a blood drenched Mandalay Bay, with a statement by ISIS that they stand by their claim that they and the shooter are responsible for the Las Vegas massacre.
Callimachi further asserts that ISIS is “now claiming shooter converted 6 mos ago” to Islam.
She does reiterate that ISIS has had plenty of opportunities in regards to past incidences to declare responsibility but did not do so.
However, she also admits that ISIS has shown zero evidence to prove that it played a role in Las Vegas but states that “This group has been more right than it’s been wrong.”
Understanding the Threat also believes there is an ISIS connection to the massacre.
Understanding the Threat, an organization which “provides threat-focused strategic and operational consultation, training, and education for federal, state, and local leadership and agencies in government, the private sector, and for private citizens,” issued the following statement regarding their assessment of ISIS involvement:
“Before any real information about the shooter was put out via U.S. media outlets, UTT published a tweet at 6:34 AM CST on Monday assessing the Las Vegas attack was likely a jihadi operation. So far as UTT has been able to ascertain, we were the first organization in America to reach this conclusion.
The following were the basis for that assessment:
- The Islamic State has previously called for attacks on the U.S. homeland and has specifically mentioned Las Vegas, Nevada as a target.
- The Islamic State issued a statement last week through one of it’s information outlets Nasher News calling for muslims to avoid places in America (and elsewhere) where “Crusaders” gather and have mentioned major events as good targets.
- In recent days, jihadis have launched attacks in Europe.
- The target of the attack.
- The method and execution of the attack.”
In the coming days, hopefully there will be more information forthcoming which will shed light on the full extent of what happened and who is responsible for the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history.
© 2017, admin. The Logo and Photos (by Susan Knowles) are protected by U.S. Copyright Laws, and are not to be downloaded or reproduced in any way without the written permission of Susan J. Knowles. Copyright 2014 Susan J. Knowles All Rights Reserved.